One in a million is how some colleagues described Dietetic Coordinator Janice Fry who recently retired after 43 years with NHS Forth Valley.
Janice graduated from Robert Gordon in Aberdeen and started as a basic grade dietitian in 1978 at the former Falkirk and District Royal Infirmary. It was part of her job to check the lunch trays of all those on special diets (as per instructions on a board, and work with lots of patients, beginning the career that she has truly loved.
In 1980, Janice started working with children in a new and developing role, covering medical and children’s wards and clinics. Following maternity leave she was seconded to the Royal Scottish National Hospital as a senior dietitian and, in 1998, appointed Chief Dietitian at the former Stirling Royal Infirmary where she established the Stirling paediatric dietetic service. Janice’s latest role was Co-ordinator of the community dietetic service and project lead for Child Healthy Weight programme- WhyWeight.
Janice has been Chair of the Scottish Paediatric Network, was an active member of the Scottish Leadership Network and East of Scotland BDA Branch. She was the heart and soul of patient groups including YUFF, the Be Better Hearted Programme and, more recently, WhyWeight. She also received a long service award from the Scottish Dietetic Leadership Network.
Below are just a few of the comments from colleagues who have worked with her.
- “I can’t emphasise enough, her dedication to patients. She worked hard but brought a real sense of fun. We laughed every day”
- “Janice was a truly fantastic colleague and will be sorely missed not only by health visiting service but also by countless families who she has helped. One in a million.”
- “Janice has legendary creativity skills”
- “Dietetics in Scotland will miss you, thanks for all you have done over the years”
- “Thank you for all that you have given the children and families of Forth Valley”
- “Janice is amazing, dynamic, innovative. She is always thinking outside the box”
Janice now plans to spend her time with family, relaxing and gardening.